Thursday, February 5, 2015

Taco Thursday

Tonight is Taco Thursday which ususally leads into Taco Friday with leftovers.

I like to fix myself a taco salad while the husband has "normal tacos.  Tonight I used a clean home made taco seasoning instead of the packets.  I've been wanting to try it for awhile now but just never did.  Since some friends and I are holding a clean eating accountability group via Facebook this week, I decided to give it a try.  I will never eat another taco seasoning packet again!  It tasted SO much better.  Even my husband liked it, which I was a little worried about.  So if Brian likes it, everyone likes it! ;)

The recipe calls for the taco seasoning is as follows

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Blend all spices in a bowl and use to season any taco meat you are cooking. Use approximately 1 tablespoon per pound of meat.
  2. Note: This mix has a small amount of “kick” to it. Nothing that will set your mouth on fire, but definitely noticeable. If you want something without the kick, leave out the cayenne and add an extra 1/2 teaspoon of paprika.
I found this recipe at The Gracious Pantry if you're interested in taking a peek!

As far as the taco salad itself, I used ground turkey, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, fat free refried beans, salsa, and Weight Watchers Shredded Mexican Cheese.  I also added 2/3 cup of water when adding the taco seasoning.
Be sure to watch your portions!

Seasoning:
Finished product:





No comments:

Post a Comment